David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 13 June 2022

Derek and Clive based on Valerie Eliot

 

With the proviso that the easily-offended should not listen to Back of the Cab from the brilliant 1977 Derek and Clive Come Again, it only happens that, 45 years later, it looks like it was based on a letter from Valerie Eliot to The Times, published on 10/2/70. It's quoted on page 468 of Robert Crawford's Eliot After The Waste Land, 
As he got in, the driver said: 'You're T. S. Eliot'....'Only the other evening I picked up Bertrand Russell, and I said to him: "Well, Lord Russell, what's it all about", and, do you know, he couldn't tell me.
 
It has nothing to do with the Eliots or Russell, really, but it suggests that Peter Cook remembered reading a letter to The Times. Very sadly, young Dudley isn't easy to hear on this on You Tube. It's worth finding elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.