David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Thursday 23 September 2021

Personal Archaeology

Home improvements are a rare thing at this house and not what anybody expects to read about here but needs must after 23 years. I can't make UPVC interesting but the upheval had the knock-on effect of causing further sorting out, like the emptying of a drawer of old papers upstairs. Some of it I knew about but some discoveries from the 1970's re-write the detail of my own history for me.

There in the Gloucester Citizen on a Friday night in April are the Sunday League teams and tables. FC Spartak are bottom, I knew that, but I didn't realize there was another division below. Further thought has made me realize that after relegation, we were bottom of the lowest division then before finishing top half in 76/77 and being promoted in the necessary shiftabout.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Although I have very clear memories of the 69/70 season with Dinglewell Junior School, I hadn't realized out 6-2 defeat at Moat in the first round of the cup had been recorded for posterity in quite such depth. Moat was always a tough gig and they knew what it was about. We were much better in 70/71.
--
 
 
 

My first review was published in 1977, of the school Choral Society's Messiah. As one can see, not much has changed in the last 44 years about the way I concatenate a string of vaguely fine-sounding phrases to give the impression of knowing about something. 
--
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

And, in 1979, I sent in this hoax of a letter to the Sunday Express, making it as inane as the sort of letter they used to publish and presumably still do. They printed it alright.   
The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.