David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Thursday 18 April 2019

Bury My Heart at Cheltenham Racecourse

Thank you, Rachael Blackmore, Henry de Bromhead and Havingagoodtime.
I thought you were a different class and I'm very pleased that there was sufficient money around at Cheltenham today that didn't think so. Why they thought that is very hard to divine but that's how it was and so a horse that perhaps could have been sent off as 1/3 fav strolled home in glorious isolation at 3/1 instead, which is fine by me.
The fact that you can have a day out like that and get paid for doing the gormlessly obvious thing is better than one of those miracles reported in The Bible because it actually happened and I know it did because it was me that did it.
Obviously I'm not a racetrack wiseguy every day. It would be a dull game if I was. There needs to be more to life than accumulating cash for the sake of it, which might be where the Rees-Mogg family miss the point, but the rest of us somehow get by and days like today are the days one lives for.