David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 30 March 2018

The NME Poll

I thought, to belatedly mark the passing of the NME, I'd have one last go at doing their poll- but for all time.
A quick glance at some past results shows that winners in 1953 were Ted Heath for Best Dance Band and Dickie Valentine as Best Male Singer. I've taken my categories from 1971, which was the best year for pop music, but then amended a few. Then, cool or not now, Cliff was anointed as Best British Male Singer and Best DJ was Jimmy Savile.
I'm going,
  • World Male Singer: Al Green
  • World Female Singer: Diana Ross
  • World Musical Personality: Gregory Isaacs
  • Best Songwriter: Stephin Merritt
  • British Male Singer: Marc Bolan
  • British Female Singer: Dusty Springfield
  • Best British Single: T. Rex, Get It On
  • Best World Single: The Jackson Five, I Want You Back
  • Best TV/ Radio Show: Top of the Pops
  • Best Musician: Prince
  • Top Genius: David Bowie
  • Best World Group: The Velvet Underground
  • Top British Group: T. Rex
  • Turkey: Queen
  • Top Disc Jockey: Tony Blackburn
  • Best Album:  The Magnetic Fields, 69 Love Songs