David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 9 August 2017

The Writing on the Wall

The poem is now up on the wall in a conference room in the office and very nice it looks, too.

Having been centred rather than aligned left, the point of the acrostic, reading PORTSMOUTH down the side, is made less apparent. It doesn't have a title because it would have been implicit in the poem but it's been given one anyway, though not by me. Thus, as I'm sure others have learnt in the past, if you want to retain complete artistic control over your work, never let it out of your sight.

But it's fine and, familiarity bringing with it some comfort, it seems a better poem than I first thought it was.

It's been here before but if Radio 3 can repeat Proms, I'm sure I can repeat this,



Perhaps it was my fate to be brought here
Or a sequence of chances that lined up,
Returning me back time and time again
To where I was at home as refugee.
So, thirty-five years later, here I am,
Made native by belonging nowhere else,
Otherwise still a stranger to myself
Under the Guildhall clock or by the shore
The gunboats would depart from into mist,
History theirs to make, ours to pass by.