David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Tuesday 21 March 2017

Portsmouth Acrostic

The offices where I do the day job are being refurbished and a part of that process is a competition for artwork, including photography and poems, from those that attend there to adorn the walls.
I hadn't even noticed that, up to now, there is no such aesthetic feature in the whole building, only the dreariest of corporate messages and information.
Thus I thought I ought to contribute something to this well-intentioned initiative even though I reckon pictures are more suitable than words in the circumstances. Work submitted has to be on prescribed themes or of local interest. I'll be disappointed if my effort is judged not good enough but I'll understand if its themes of existential angst are not considered what they were looking for.



Perhaps it was my fate to be brought here
Or a sequence of chances that lined up,
Returning me back time and time again
To where I was at home as refugee.
So, thirty-five years later, here I am,
Made native by belonging nowhere else,
Otherwise still a stranger to myself
Under the Guildhall clock or by the shore
The gunboats would depart from into mist,
History theirs to make, ours to pass by.