David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 31 August 2012

Ian McEwan - Sweet Tooth

Ian McEwan, Sweet Tooth (Jonathan Cape)


Having seen Ian McEwan interviewed on the Book Review programme, I had heard him explain that the ending of Sweet Tooth would suggest a whole different story and so I was bearing that in mind all the way through, wondering which were the elements of plot or character that would shift around in the final pages. It is a novel full of fictions and consideration of the condition of the fictional. In a world of secret agents, literary types and thorough outlines of the stories of one of its main characters who is a writer, there are many layers of possibility.
But then McEwan also readily mixes into his fiction a large helping of real people and events- the current affairs of the early 70’s, Ian Hamilton, Martin Amis - which is thoroughly accurate. Having thought we were in 1976 because Roogalator were playing gigs in pubs, I find that, yes, he’s right, Roogalator were formed in 1972 and obviously playing pub rock in 1973 when the novel is set. But the best bit of observation is probably Serena Frome’s sister’s boyfriend and his crashingly dull devotion to cannabis,
he was doing that inexcusable thing that men who liked cannabis tended to do, which was to go on about it
used here to make Serena think he’s being deliberately boring to get rid of her because he wants to be alone with her sister.
It’s a brilliantly done scene. It is Serena’s paranoia that makes her think that.
And we are not delayed too long with explicit ruminations on literary theory, of passing interest as they are, like when Serena discusses her reading of contemporary literature,
I wasn’t impressed by those writers…who infiltrated their own pages as part of the cast, determined to remind the poor reader that all the characters and even they themselves were pure inventions and that there was a difference between fiction and life. Or, to the contrary, to insist that life was a fiction anyway.
In the final chapter the story does fold back into itself beautifully. One gradually sees what is happening and enjoys the way it turns around. Our sympathies don’t change much, I don’t think, because the characters have somehow inevitably been made so attractive. I immediately wondered if I’d been impressed by a simple trick, one that other readers will find too easy to foresee, but I’m not sure they will and it’s me that decides whether I liked it or not. It’s at least as good as McEwan’s best work, in Atonement and Chesil Beach, and as good as anything I’ve read for a long time.