David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 25 June 2010

Best Chart Ever




http://www.everyhit.com/retros/index.php?page=rchart&y1=1971&m1=08&y2=1971&m2=08&sent=1&day1=1&day2=1

Prompted by discussion and memories of Buffy Sainte-Marie's tremendous Soldier Blue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97xgT9nH-yw , I looked up some charts from that time and wondered if August 1971 wasn't the best hit parade ever, with several of my favourite pop records of all time in it. Get It On, Just My Imagination and I'm Still Waiting are almost enough on their own but there's not much not to like on this list.
Or is it just that our first encounters with pop music leave the deepest impression and we are inevitably marked and defined by the experience. I don't know but this is a great, great list.
I looked further into Buffy Sainte-Marie, her campaigning and relationships and all and remained impressed until I found the names of her son include Starblanket and Wolfchild. Well, I don't know about that. I thought it was only Coldplay singers married to actresses that gave kids such names. Never mind. The message is presumably to enjoy the music and don't look too far into biographical details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.