David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 24 July 2023

A Glass of Walter

 Orange juice mixed with lemonade is known as Henry in the Swindon area. You can ask for it in a pub there and they'll know what you mean, some of them.
It took me nearly 30 years to come up with my reply. To be fair, I didn't give it much thought until a few weeks ago. The history of homo sapiens can be understood as the gradual improvement of ideas to the next brainwave, like the development of the running machine, through the boneshaker and penny farthing to the bikes now ridden in the Tour de France.
It's not been easy sourcing the ingredients for Walter but now, in two different local Co-ops, I have the necessary ginger beer and lime cordial. The recommended step-by-step process by which to create the perfect glass of Walter, is thus-
Carefully decant about an inch of lime cordial into a glass,
 


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
then fill it up with ginger beer.
 


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It's okay, actually.

This recipe has been a closely-guarded industrial secret during its developmental phase and I'm grateful to those that kept it so but now it is announced and available to all. You heard it here first.
Walter might be my lasting legacy and my biographical note now reads.
David Green (b.1959), minor poet, writer and sportsperson, co-author of the little-known Country music masterpiece Mama Told Me, recorded by the Jess Davies Band. Latterly, and more importantly, inventor of the exotic, refreshing cocktail Walter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.