David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 3 April 2023

Call My Bluff

 

The seasons call our bluff regularly these days often being out of kilter with traditional expectations. Eventually all the poems that described such things as Aprille's shoures sote, No This, No That, November or how October is marigold will need to be footnoted to explain way what have become incomprehensible  stereotypes of those times of year. But it's been Spring-like today and the plan is to attend the cricket on Friday for an absurdly early visit to the Bowl but that's when Nottinghamshire are due there. I hope Basharat Hassan, Derek Randall and Gamani Gooneseena are in good form. 
However, it's not all fun. One does have to do 'something useful' once in a while if only to assuage one's conscience. Practical jobs and I have never gone well together and any attempt at one runs a high risk of leaving the job looking worse than it did before I started. But painting is surely non-technical enough not to need somebody to do it for me. In nearly 25 years in this house I've maybe painted no more than 25% of its walls and very little of its ceilings and it begins to show. It's not until one takes a room apart that one finds how far short of an exhibition home it has fallen. So, today was the bedroom ceiling done in the homely company of Matt Chorley, Mariella Frostrup and finally Fi Glover and Jane Garvey on Times Radio. That might have been the hard part. I selected a shave of Duck Egg Blue for the walls which I'll apply tomorrow, whether with Times Radio or Radio 3 remains to be seen. But I already feel virtuous and I hope the ceiling is worth 7/10.
I deserve at least a 1997 Call My Bluff,something of a pop music special with Adam Faith, George Martin, Cliff and Bob Holness who so very famously didn't play the saxophone on Baker Street. But there's Vicky's dad, Alan, Suzanne Dando, who I'm glad to find wasn't murdered, or married to Sam Torrance, so I was thinking of someone else, and an early cersion of Sandi Toskvig that's not very different from the current one. One might say 'they don't make them like that anymore' but they do, they just do it with people you've never heard of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.