David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Tuesday 21 February 2023

Jackie - White Horses

 

 I try to say the right thing, I really do, but it doesn't always work. It can be best just to 'tell it how it is' if you can get away with it but there's no such issue with nominating White Horses by Jackie on a 7 inch single as one of the best birthday presents I ever had. I was probably in my early 40's but my sister had the internet and could find the sort of things I was going to spend much of the rest of my life stocking up on before I could. When I very much mistakenly sold off that significant portion of my life represented by my pop vinyl records for meaningless cash, I kept back White Horses for myself. I could somehow let the Sex Pistols bootleg go, and the Public Image Ltd Metal Box, but money is nowhere near enough to part me from this.
I'm not sure I ever watched the dubbed, European TV series it was the theme for. I did sit through any amount of chivalrous swash-buckling in The Flashing Blade and Belle and Sebastian was a much better drama than the mawkish indie band that took their name from it. White Horses had done all its best work by the time its signature tune was over.
Jackie Lee made a brave attempt at cornering the market with Rupert, Rupert the Bear and Johnny Said Come Over but the dreaminess and fantasy of this could never be equalled, could never,
softly sigh
and nothing else could
race to meet the dawn
quite so gorgeously.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.