David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 28 January 2022

Sounds of the 70's

 Continuing with my sorry little list-making fetish while I retain the enthusiasm for it, pop records got longer in the 1970's and Johnnie Walker's show can't accommodate as many records as Tony Blackburn's does.
That is easily programmed by having as much as is required of an extract from The Faust Tapes, the free-wheeling, avant-garde jam session released as a 12-inch LP by Virgin in Richard Branson's early days. It cost 49p, which is why it sold a few but I loved it. Then, at least, when my main ambition was to find the weirdest things I could. I was 13.
This is done in some haste and so might omit some essentials but if I never write the book, I might have the makings of an index or contents page.
The Tami Lynn is a 60's record but was a big Northern Soul hit in the 70's. The best of Elvis Costello didn't arrive until the early 80's and he can help fill up a decade that might be less easy to fill with undisputable masterpieces that are also personal favourites.
You Got a Friend should be Carole King but the drearier James Taylor represents what I liked at the time. I could fill the whole show with T. Rex and Bowie but they only get one record each before it becomes clear that Diana Ross was in the 60's show and, only now do I find out, apparently John Lennon was in The Beatles. But, as the government so devoutly demonstrate, you can't make a rule unless you immediately disregard it yourself.
At the last minute, X-Ray Spex had to make way when I remembered the anthem of the decade, All the Young Dudes, but we couldn't start with that because Keith's start to Tumbling Dice is even better than Marc's to Twentieth Century Boy.    
 
The Rolling Stones - Tumbling Dice 
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes 
Al Green – I’m Still in Love with You 
Tami Lynn – I’m Gonna Run Away from You 
Bob Dylan – The Changing of the Guards 
Joni Mitchell – A Case of You 
Wizzard – Angel Fingers 
T. Rex – Get It On 
Diana Ross – I’m Still Waiting 
The Temptations – Just My Imagination 
Rod Stewart & the Faces – You Wear It Well 
Bryan Ferry – Carrickfergus 
The Clash – (White Man) in Hammersmith Palais 
The Sex Pistols – Anarchy in the U.K. 
The Pioneers – Let Your Yeah be Yeah 
Dave and Ansel Collins – Double Barrel 
Bob Marley & the Wailers – Waiting in Vain 
Led Zeppelin – Boogie with Stu 
Hawkwind – Silver Machine 
Faust – from The Faust Tapes 
Lindisfarne - Lady Eleanor
James Taylor – You Got a Friend 
Dawn – What Are You Doing Sunday? 
Hurricane Smith – Oh, Babe, What Would You Say 
Tavares – Heaven Must be Missing an Angel 
Yvonne Elliman – If I Can’t Have You 
John Lennon – Stand by Me 
The Sweet – Wig Wam Bam 
David Bowie – Wild is the Wind

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.