David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 26 January 2022

Sounds of the 60's

 I think I've abandoned all hope of a cure for the dubious compulsion to make lists. I can't see any purpose it serves, no point it proves, except to satisfy some odd gratification in the doing of it.
The premise for this excursion was that Tony Blackburn's R2 Sounds of the 60's show comprises 32 records in two hours, at least half a dozen of which are absolute masterpieces. Until the last year or so, I was of the opinion that the 70's were the 'best decade', when I was more fully in the picture. Most specifically it was September 1971. For preference, in choosing a best ten years of pop music it wouldn't have to be defined by the third integer of the years covered, it would be 1963-1972. So not only does that include more 60's than 70's, Tony has proved more convincing than Johnnie Walker on his 70's show in his claims for his allocated decade.
 
My shortlist for a programme of purely 'absolute masterpieces' soon went well beyond 32 and so heartbreaking decisions had to be made. One let out was that some artists could be carried over to a subsequent 70's show and so the omission of the Rolling Stones, the Temptations and Bob Dylan need not be lamented just yet. Admirers of Elvis Presley or Fontella Bass need not despair yet but there will always be the equivalent of the fourth place in the Olympic Games that just misses out on a medal so it might be hard luck for Manfred Mann and Herman & His Hermits and I've never been a big fan of The Who. There could even be a Rock Show, a Soul Show, a Reggae Show and a less competitive 80's Show but there is a soul bias to it, they are my shows and those who regard Pink Floyd, Queen, Springsteen and a host of long-haired white boys in denim playing their loudest as essential would want to take their business elsewhere if it mattered but luckily it doesn't.
The Kinks, or somebody like them, could easily be affronted but maybe Terry and Julie meeting on Friday nights at Waterloo Station would be in the Rock Show in the unlikely event that we get that far.
So, interspersed with the jingles, Remember this Golden Classic and Music hour by hour, too much, on your tower, if and when I'm asked to stand in for Tony when he's on holiday, this will be the playlist,
 
The Jackson 5, I Want You Back 
The Turtles, She’d Rather be with Me 
Doris Day, Move Over Darling 
Millie, My Boy Lollipop 
The Tremeloes, Silence is Golden 
Billy Fury, I’ll Never Find Another You 
Petula Clark, I Couldn’t Live without Your Love 
The Mamas & the Papas, Do You Wanna Dance 
Cliff Richard, The Next Time 
The Velvet Underground & Nico, Sunday Morning 
Fairport Convention, Si Tu Dois Partir 
Cilla Black, Anyone Who Had a Heart 
The Ronettes, Be My Baby 
Diana Ross & the Supremes, Stop! in the Name of Love 
The Beach Boys, God Only Knows 
The Beatles, If I Fell 
Aretha Franklin, One Step Ahead 
The Monkees, Alternate Title 
Procul Harum, A Whiter Shade of Pale 
The Four Tops, Walk Away Renee 
Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, The Tracks of My Tears 
The Archies, Sugar Sugar 
The Drifters, Save the Last Dance for Me 
Dusty Springfield, I Just Don’t Know What To Do with Myself 
Timi Yuro, It’ll Never be Over for Me 
Dionne Warwick, Walk On By 
The Shirelles, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow 
The Elgins, Heaven Must Have Sent You 
Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, Nowhere to Run 
Tom Jones, I’ll Never Fall in Love Again 
The Bee Gees, Massachuchets
The Seekers, The Carnival is Over

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.