David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 7 May 2021

Racetrack Wiseguy

 It's not my time of year, I keep saying, but I'm not doing so bad in the treacherous waters of the flat and the early weeks of summer jumping. As long as we keep the solid profit behind us, we can have shots to nothing and see what happens. I'm not too involved with the televised stuff that lure the mug punters in with all the corporate promotional gush from Ed Chamberlain and his sitting-room friendly team. What we want, and what we have, is an interest that pays us to be interested in it. 
This is not football that gulls its customers into believing they are somehow 'stakeholders' in their clubs while they are ripped off something rotten for their perennial disappointments in exchange for some vague belief that they 'belong'.
No, no, we'll do the choosing, we'll back our judgement to precisely the amount we decide and as such it is our sport.
On ITV at Haydock, one doesn't trust the flat but Copperless in the jumping feature at 3.10 could still have more to offer. I missed the 5/1 and took 4's while waiting for the tardy bookmaker to chalk up prices on lesser races but one likes some sort of security and I see it's 7/2 elsewhere already.
We then wait for Warwick's evening meeting, unmoved by any other temptation because we like to think we know what we're doing.
Sandymount Rose at 6.50 takes on fences for the first time having been consistent over hurdles and the early market indicators are in her favour.
And, having monitored the progress of Fantastic Lady and got her right so far, 7/2 in the 7.20 is a reasonable offer as one sometimes needs others to take on to get a worthwhile price. Never be afraid of one other horse.
Those three will do me fine for an old-fashioned punt in which the treble would multiply up nicely. It won't have cost me much if none of them go in and, quite honestly, it wasn't originally my money that's on them anyway. It was in Corals's account before it moved into mine. That's what makes one a wiseguy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.