David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 22 July 2020

The Masked Man and other stories

It doesn't seem that long since the government were questioning the wearing of the burka and yet by Friday, if and when I go into a shop, I will look like this, by law. I'm not making any political point by saying as much, just reflecting on how times can change.
I am lucky in having a sister who makes masks for the people that need them. She not only gave me three of different designs but delivered them, too, along with a haircut. I enjoy being related to hairdressers, mask-makers, cake-makers, pharmacists and living next door to a versatile handyman among any number of other useful contacts. And what do I in return for anybody. Well, proof-reading, occasionally words for pop songs and help with Literature Studies from O level to undergraduate essays and theses.
 Meanwhile, life without the day job increasingly convinces that it is some sort of paradise. I don't like to count on such things because, as a devout pessimist, I'm always sure something will go wrong. But, as reading and writing progress most satisfactorily, the chess habit has put me at an all-time high at Lichess, now on a rating of 1898 for 10-minute games which puts me, unrealistically it seems to me, in the top 12% of players there in that discipline. The next game, as it always is in football, is the big one, with more points taking me over the 1900 threshold and possibly ahead of the 1903 rating for 5-minute games, which would mean saving the better rating and playing back in the other time limit.
The poems, Situation and Starý židovský Hřbitov are my declared runners in a two-pronged campaign in local poetry competitions that close shortly. Not that I particularly approve of competitions when I wish that poetry at least could avoid being a competitive sport but I won't mind if I get a little cup to look after for a year or am given a few quid in cash. I won't mind losing at all, either.