David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 17 July 2020

Retirement Diary

I was walking along Southsea seafront just now, as retired people are supposed to, with a young person on a motorised skateboard coming towards me. One disapproves of such behaviour, of course, but he had music on and, as he passed me, it turned out to be Get It On so he was immediately forgiven. 49 summers old and still the high water mark of British pop music. Along with I'm Still Waiting, it sounds like summer to me. Summer 1971, to be specific.
Further along I had an ice-cream with Eton Mess flavour on top of Mixed Berry Sundae. That was gorgeous, too, and my £3.50 single-handedly re-booted the economy.
One has to get out and about for exercise, you see, rather than lying on the settee reading books and listening to the test match. 3 hours in this heat is as much as I'm up to but I wanted to investigate a new book shop run by a poet in Albert Road. I'd like to have bought something or ordered something except I have every book I'm aware of needing but I wish Pigeon Books all the best and hope they do well.
My last purchase was 4 cans of Carlsberg Export. It's not really cold enough and I'm not sure 4 will be enough but I'll sleep well, and soon.