David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 26 November 2018

Not the Biggest Aspidistra in the World


But the biggest gin and tonic I've ever seen. And it was all mine, if all too briefly before it was knocked over - not by me. Lucky tablecloth, I say. But what a beautiful thing it was, as the climax to a great day, while it radiated all too gorgeously for its own good like the Chatterton of drinks. 
Thanks to Joe Coral for another fine day out, all paid for, including the train fare via the 12.10 from Haydock, finding a fiver on the floor on the train back that paid for the taxi when it was cats and dogs in Portsmouth and then the account had gone up a bit, too, which I think means situation retrieved as far as this struggling, sometimes unlucky, year has gone.

Doux Pretender got out of an unpromising position just in time; Grand Sancy had gone in at Haydock; Politologue wasn't in as much of a race as it might have looked. Cyrname didn't really get into its race but I was credited with having tipped Caid du Lin at 16/1, which I'm sure I didn't. The big mistake was not, in the end, coupling Doux Pretender (9/2 !!!) and Politologue, having thought too much, but Grand Sancy/Politologue sufficed.

Lucky with trains on the way there, the return train with Southampton supporters on their way home from Fulham, West Ham people having witnessed Manchester City helping themselves to 4 and, presumably, some of those from Twickers, made me resolve never to travel anywhere again but it was a good way to finish before retirement into my planned reclusiveness.
These people, who are they - young men in tweed going to Ascot mentioning the names of horses that I know aren't going to win. Older men with adjusted noses and cauliflower ears going to see the rugby union brutality continue now their days have gone. But worst, the obsessive teenagers flicking through devices on their way home, checking fantasy football points. They won't find themselves girlfriends doing that.
If Corals want me to do the celebrity tipster spot next year - and I'll have my price, having achieved three winners and a second out of five in the tipster competition - but they'll have to come and fetch me. I can't see them inviting Rishi Persad back after his efforts this year. Luke Harvey was better than him.

But, thanks, Joe. Much appreciated.
--
Whereas, Carlsen- Caruana goes into extra time at 0-0. They both had their moments but the other wasn't ever out of their depth in handling it.
There is always more going on in the possible variations they are calculating while I gaze at the position as if it were a poem by Ezra Pound. I have Carlsen fractionally ahead, certainly in game 12, but needs must that they go to rapid play because they have full diaries and can't just keeping playing until one is so worn out they make a mistake. First to win six these days could take all year.
--
But, Hold the Poetry Lists.

Ms. Duffy is added to the Best Collection of the Year Shortlist for Sincerity.
And Derek Mahon appeared with me noticing, even though I looked, from Gallery Press. So, we have contenders beyond Sean O'Brien and we might yet have a game on.
And, pressing on, it is possible Murakami will be read, digested and thoroughly considered in time to challenge in the Best Novel category. But the award ceremony might be later than usual to fit that in.