David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 13 July 2018

CD's

I've never been able to tell whether poetry is a serious business, something that a certain sort of person never grew out of or a trap for the least wary of self-advertising hipster to fall into.

It's surely not an honourable calling. I certainly take more pride, such as there is of it, in being a civil servant than a 'poet', much though I admire the best work of the most elegant poets.

I would have liked The Perfect Book to be an end of it but there's an itch. I've got my chess ratings as high as they can be expected to be and want to leave them there unjeopardized for a day or two. I was completely over my brief re-infatuation with football as soon as I woke up.

The NHS has plenty to do without having to provide counselling for people who can find nothing better to do than write poems. I lay there, staring at my gorgeous records and thought,


CD’s

They said it would have gone by now,
The music they scanned on somehow

To indestructible plastic.
I hoped it wouldn’t go that quick

But still hung on to my LP’s,
Never having been of these

That moves with every passing trend.
Well, quite. Where would that ever end.

But now, my dotage immanent
and embraced like something godsent,

the music has managed to cling
tenaciously and surprising

to media that takes one aback,
as endurable as shellac

or vinyl whose carved provenance
was undisputed evidence

of the real. Who’s the dinosaur
that got wiped out. I never saw

the need for downloads or the sound
of old LP’s as more profound.

There’s shelves and shelves and shelves of it
And all of it is pure profit

That will last longer, in ruder
Health, like all that Buxtehude,

Than I’m ever likely to. So,
Glad of the mid-range stereo,

The Clein, Sheku or Isserlis,
Those that I wouldn’t want to miss,

Will outlive prophecies of doom
And ensure that my packed front room  

Does not become, through time’s violence,
A library of endless silence.  

--

It is terrible, terrible doggerel if not a bit metaphysical. None of that matters. I'm sorry if The Perfect Book isn't the last word.