David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 27 October 2017

The Saturday Nap

Confidence can be a bad thing but you need to have at least some to be getting involved in anything. Everything I mentioned here last week won except the safety-first option that I put up in bold letters.
And then going to Plumpton on Monday was all of interest, good little meeting, but one wouldn't be lured into betting on most of those races if you weren't there. I didn't do well to exercise restrraint because I only exercised it when nominating winners and not backing them.
So at first one looks at the weekend prospects, which are many and various, dubiously. Less than half of the sumptuous profit I was showing at halfway through the year has gone but it seems a long time ago that I was in a position to treat it as regular income.
The Professor will be on the wire later, I'm sure, once he's got himself out of various Portsmouth pubs and I know he's keen on The Pentagon at Doncaster. He'll probably be right but what appears to be the O'Brien second string can hardly be a blue chip investment if Ryan Moore prefers to ride something else. I can't see why he does but he does.
The proper racing is at Cheltenham where there is plenty to like but heaven knows it is going to be competitive.
Doing Fine (2.00) was a real friend in April but I can't tip him tomorrow.
Midnight Shot (4.20) has also been kind, a horse I've got a lot of time for, and I could see him turning over the favourites but he's one for the small change yankee.
Robin'Hannon (4.55) would be the soundest option at a meeting I'd rather use Monopoly money at.

It's at Kelso one has more chance with legal tender.
Rockalzaro ((1.15) will go into the multiple bet and I'd be overjoyed if it's anything like the betting forecast price.
But Paul Nicholls sends Give Me A Copper (2.25), with Sean Bowen, future champion jockey, doing the long haul up north until he can get the pick of the stable rides. That should be The Saturday Nap.
But it isn't, the nap runs on Sunday.
Shantou Village (nap, Aintree 3.00, Sunday) could well be still progressing after impressively destroying my enormous hopes for Penglai Pavilion at Cheltenham two years ago and following up with 11F11 last season. He returns getting weight in a handicap from horses I reckon he's better than and he's 6/1.
It's not my sort of race usually but I think he's more than one to include in the speculative punt on a handful of vague fancies.
Meanwhile, I'm still thinking the jockeys and horses look very small at Plumpton.




















--
And now the Professor has been on the wire. His identity remains undivulged here (it's not John Francome) but I still won't quote exactly what he said.
But, yes, he goes with The Pentagon.