David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 20 September 2017

Door

In the Dick Francis thriller Flying Finish, the hero goes through all the usual trials and tribulations at the hands of hoodlums and gangsters before miraculously arriving intact with his star horse at Cheltenham in March for the Champion Hurdle. It's a gripping race, it's all action until, jumping the last upsides, they charge up the hill and are just beaten on the line, undermining expectations of a happy ending. And, it says, That's racing.
Well, it's poetry, too. In the equally glamorous world of local poetry, it's all to play for in Portsmouth Poetry Society's annual competition. This year the prescibed theme was 'Door'. It took me a couple of weeks to come up with anything to write. I thought I really ought to take part, to be sociable, but didn't want to put in anything too sub-standard. Eventually, once the idea came, the poem followed easily. I thought it stood a chance, bearing in mind that one doesn't know what the judge will like and the standard of the opposition is good.
But my runner was tight, fit to race, accessible and did the things that poems are usually expected to do.The judge did a marvellous job, her comments detailed, showing that she'd given everything due consideration and also said that in a close decision, my poem had been placed second.
So, what can you do. Congratulations to everybody on some fine poems. And small consolation that I don't have responsibility for the cup for the next twelve months.



Door

Time was I’d look behind a door
To investigate what was there
On the off-chance of adventure.
Intrepid, then, I didn’t care.

Later if I saw one ajar
I’d glance through the inviting gap
And weigh up what the chances were
Of opportunity, or trap.

But now I’m glad to leave it closed
For fear of what there is to find.
My attitude’s metamorphosed.
I’m not prepared to gamble blind.