David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 6 January 2016

If It Wasn't Christmas

My mate's daughter is at University doing Pop Music. It has been suggested that if she needs help with the words to any of her compositions, I might be able to provide it.
Before Christmas, watching Danny Baker's SKY Arts programme on Christmas Hits, I noticed that such records are still being made. It's not just Slade, Wizzard, Mud and The Pogues, there are recent records of some note by Leona Lewis and Darlene Love. When I say 'recent' I mean within the last 25 years. So I wondered whether to attempt such a thing rather than wait for my assistance to be requested.
Below is the resulting first draft, ready to be edited, changed, adapted howsoever the musician sees fit, or quite understandably, perhaps discarded, but it appears here to lay some claim on the title, idea, lines or anything about it deemed to be original so that, in the event of the Worldwide Christmas no.1 hit, some of the royalties arrive here.
Lds & Gnlmn, you heard it here first.



If It Wasn’t Christmas


Don’t be mad at me
I love you, baby, but I’m not quite free
You know I won’t be kissing him with the same feeling
I want to hold your hand
I don’t want to hear your reprimand
With you everything has a new meaning

It’s not going to snow and the mistletoe
Is the only thing that can see I’m pre-occupied
If it wasn’t Christmas, I’d be right there by your side

You won’t be far away
It might as well be Acapulco Bay
But the distance between us will not last forever
It’s hard to compromise
I want to be the only one in your eyes
You know I’m not trying to be clever

And then I’ll follow a star to be where you are
And have no need of any other thing as my guide
If it wasn’t Christmas, I’d be right there by your side

The past’s behind us
With our regrets and mistakes
But for the rest of our lives
I’ll do whatever it takes

There’ll be no need for presents
Underneath a tree
Because I will have you
And you will have me

If it wasn’t Christmas, I’d be right there by your side
                (If it wasn’t Christmas, I’d be right there by your side)
If it wasn’t Christmas, I’d be right there by your side
                (If it wasn’t Christmas, I’d be right there by your side)