David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Saturday 11 April 2015

Pas de Baisers Volés

I'm not convinced I've got this title right. It is intended to be No Stolen Kisses, or Not 'Stolen Kisses', after the Truffaut film but I might need advice from someone whose French idiom is better than my 38 year old A level.

Pas de Baisers Volés 

These would be scenes from one of those French films
where nothing much is said but we look down
deserted, shabby-genteel avenues.

Indoors the routine measures out the day
but stolen glances caught on camera
imply a narrative not happening

while mountains far away covered in snow
catch other sunlight in different time zones,
unvisited and the more beautiful

for that. But, no, we are not nouvelle vague
and we shall not be lovers. Whatever
would have happened instead is what will be.