David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Top 100 Pop Records

I've admitted before, and will continue to admit, that the list making compulsion is a dreary and wrong sideline that one should have grown out of as one became adult.
But it remains possibly the unattainable purpose of an interest in any art form to decide what is best, and perhaps more importantly, why.
I've never been happy with the Top 100 Pop Records I posted here a few years ago. It's never right.
And so, how can one improve the process to make a better list.
What I have embarked upon is a project of adding one more certainty for a Top 100 place to my list last thing every night. I've been doing it for just over a week and it's easy so far and should remain easy for at least another month. There are Motown classics and works of such perfection that, I hope, still don't need questioning. Not even Baby Washington's That's How Heartaches Are Made is on the list yet, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuPpUMwJlY8 but I'm hoping I'll get to it before too long.
It is starting to look very different now and I would hope that the long view might filter out passing fancies and leave me with just the ultimate classics but I know there's a danger that some things that were old favourites and very worthy might be overshadowed by some late emerging predilection to present myself as if I was always a Northern Soul fan at heart, or some other mantle I might like to try on even now. I'm hoping that nominating one record at a time prevents that from happening.
Do tune in sometime around next February to see the final list.