David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Sunday 20 May 2012

Bad Day at the Wapentake


Bad Day at the Wapentake


The word is Scandinavian and refers
to the brandishing of weapons
to signify assent in a popular assembly.


Cloud is heavy on the hills,
a late snake moves slow
through long grass.
Whey is being stirred thick
in an outhouse
and sullen children in the yard
are not inclined to misbehave
as their grisly father pours
a dark measure of ale
and loosens his belt.
Local men gather to oppose
a motion. Pikes glint
in the Autumn light,
dumb cudgels are not counted
and then they don’t vote no.