David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 19 March 2012

Engelbert Eurovision

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17429151

This is all very well and good. I'm a big admirer of Engelbert and would certainly be purchasing his Greatest Hits if I couldn't do most of them myself to my own satisfaction whenever I felt like it.
But it mooches about for the whole of the first half and declines the opportunity to reach for any attention-grabbing climax until it's too late. Like going 2-0 down by half time, coming back with two tremendous goals in the last half hour but going out on away goals count double. It's tactically naive once you've seen what Russia are up to.
Why do we insist on taking part in this when Italy have been proud enough to withdraw. Why do we still take part in international football when it is obvious that the players, never mind the supporters, don't actually care about it.
We did have a proud history in Eurovision. The USA is the only other country that could take us on at pop music, although, with Tamla Motown on their side, it's not much of a game. Cliff came second and then third, bravely, and the likes of the New Seekers were brilliant.
But it isn't going to happen any more. We all know why that is and that's the rules of the game. But we should give it one last go in a blaze of glory and show them that we were always the best at pop music and it is simply that they won't vote for us.
We could enter Robbie Williams doing the unused Curtis-Green masterpiece that languishes forlornly on demos in London and Portsmouth; we could teach The Saturdays a dance routine to go with my own composition called Break. But it doesn't have to be a pay day for me. Just put in Led Zeppelin or Paul McCartney. They'd surely win anyway or at least prove it wasn't worth the ticket.
There seems to be something about this country that makes it look as if we aren't really trying. There are four suggestions. You either try or you don't bother at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.