David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 16 December 2011

The Annunciation



A Christmas card arrived from Pluscarden Abbey, as it usually does about this time of year. My friend there was wise enough to join a community that is allowed contact with the outside world and we exchange as many as three letters a year.

But this year I was particularly taken with the picture and it's already up here by me on the wall.

It is The Annunciation (1898) by Henry Ossawa Tanner.

I like Mary in this; I like the folds in her clothes and the bedclothes; I like the screen behind her and the blinding light.

Brilliant. Christmas can bring out unexpected wonderful things and this is a highlight of this year.

Happy Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.