David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Thursday 7 July 2011

John the Baptist

Okay, then, hands up everyone who wants to see a new poem.

Well, hard luck, you're getting one anyway.

John the Baptist

Now I can see I never stood a chance.
From the moment I looked into his eyes
and they carried me like an avalanche,
I knew that it was him I’d idolize.
The water that I drenched him in ran off
him clear; he was already free of sin.
I saw that I could never do enough.
He would not follow me, I’d follow him.

My audience dispersed once they had heard
his charismatic speech; legerdemain
miracles that stilled their base discontent,
the frugal wonder in his every word.
And I do anything for him I can.
It is his word, not mine, I represent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.