David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 29 October 2010

Pictures of Gregory







Research in old diaries and archaeological excavations of piles of old magazines, programmes, photos and general cultural detritus have established that the date I saw Gregory in Bournemouth was Monday 27th February, 1989 and eventually dug up the pictures I took.
In an unfortunate bit of bad planning, I'd had used up the film before he took his hat off to reveal the full dreadlocks but it was an excellent concert and in pictures like the first one here, I suspect he knew I was there and held the pose for the photo. Or maybe that was just my imagination.
Top 6 Gregory has to begin with my two most memorable, the duets with Dennis Brown, Let Off Sup'm, from Judge Not, and Big All Around from No Contest, with its choice studio effects http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcBzFPBJqHk . Hush Darling and If I Don't Have You represent Lover's Rock where really you can perm as many as you want from the selection without losing out.
Night Nurse is as big a UK hit as there was and so is included for form's sake but there's a wealth of candidates in a vast output that includes classic cuts throughout and a Top 20 or 30 might tell the story better because there aren't necessarily stand-outs in such a high class field. And of course the sometimes novelty sixth selection has to go to Puff the Magic Dragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.