David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Thursday 7 October 2010

National Poetry Day Live

National Poetry Day Live, Royal Festival Hall, Oct 7

Thank you very much indeed to the Poetry Society and South Bank Centre for putting on a fine show for Poetry Day, and for free, too, which means it would be a bit ungrateful to find fault with it. However, there's no need to because the positive heavily outweighs any reservations.
Dalgit Nagra is an ideal opening act, lively, rousing and a natural performer. Jo Shapcott is a friendly and welcoming presence, perhaps more shocking than expected to an old prude like me when finishing on a high note- more literally than you think I mean- with her hyperbole on a water closet theme. Simon Armitage showed that Seeing Stars sounds like poetry even if it doesn't look like it on the page and turned in the classy, understated performance than one knows and loves him for. From the 'slam' scene, it wouldn't be usual for me to be overly enthused about Joelle Taylor but she was impressive in what she did, and top marks for that on a day that one wasn't looking to raise objections, before introducing the emerging and impossibly young star of their world, Aisling Fahey.
The Pick a Poem feature on the Poetry Society stand was a lucky dip in which you helped yourself to an unmarked brown envelope with a poem in it. Some were said to be signed by the author and, to prove it, mine was, so now I'm the proud owner of a signed Fiona Sampson. I wonder if my luck will hold long enough to steam into Zenyatta in the Breeders Cup Classic.
Jane Draycott was very enjoyable, Lemn Sissay energetic and powerful reading from the Ancient Mariner but if Luke Kennard was a bit confident of his own abilities and it might have been the beer in him, the highlight of the second session was Jay Bernard, something of a revelation, heartfelt, passionate and proof if it were needed that there is always yet more in this game to be discovered even if you thought you knew it all. And I certainly never thought that.
There was an opportunity to go into 'the box' to have a one-to-one reading from a poet but I thought that might be a bit much for me and you don't know who you're going to get. You can't have a go on all the rides at the fair so I sat and filled in enough answers in the quiz to get a pass mark .
The final session included more Armitage, the admirable Ian Duhig, Robin Robertson somewhat dour but serious, Caroline Bird and a big party finish from Ross Sutherland, who is actually more of a poet than the stand-up comic that first might meet the eye.
Ian Duhig's new book, Pandorama, was rushed out to meet the occasion so I was happy to be one of the first to get a signed one. Proper poet, charming man. Tune in here again soon to find out what it's like. Well, it's good, obviously, from what I read on the train home but I'll take a few more words to say how and why next week.
What a big success and what a nice day. A wide range of poets, everybody in a good mood. It makes it all worthwhile. Thanks again to those who put it all the work. It is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.