David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Sunday 6 December 2009

Top 6 - Pete Doherty, selected by Chris Chadwick



We're told that Can't Stand Me Now tells the story of Pete breaking into Carl's flat and their on-off relationship... "Have we enough to keep it together? or do we just keep on pretending (and hope our luck is never ending..)".
Death on The Stairs
She said: "I'll show you a picture
a picture of tomorrow
there's nothing changing it's all sorrow"
oh no please don't show me
I'm a swine you don't wanna know me
......perhaps a prophetic look into the future of The Libertines? He must have known it was going to end in tears, but is in denial.
The Delaney
Some people run from trouble
Some people meet it half way
Others are glad to pay
Their cab fare over
And superficially you enjoy the company that you loathe to bear
Enjoy the company
What exactly do you mean
The truth be known the drums they roll
I loop the loop on the old banjo
How's best to deal with problems or problem people? Ignore it, or meet it head-on?
Time For Heroes
there are fewer more distressing sights than that
of an englishman in a baseball cap
yeah we'll die in the class we were born
that's a class of our own my love
we're in a class of our own my love
... a social commentary of sorts. Maybe deriding the class system and the 'chav' culture "it's these ignorant faces that bring this town down".
Bollywood to Battersea
...It's a long, long way, oooh
From Bollywood to Battersea
Bollywood to Battersea
Bollywood to Battersea
I was a child of the pound and the crown
I lost myself in the haze
Of the new life that I found
On the silver screen
She was a child of the movies and the dollar
One fine day I was led astray
She took me by the collar
Said you must follow me
... discovery of cultural differences, new horizons.
France
The ideal girl
In London from France
Came over then left me
She left me entranced
Now I have to get by
Once again on my own
Nothing but memories

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.