David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 11 December 2009

London Chess Classic

http://www.londonchessclassic.com/live/live_games.htm

I'll be at this on Monday, trying to fathom that which I'm not really gifted enough to appreciate.

It's already provided considerable entertainment with live games available via interweb links.
Future World Champion, Magnus Carlsen, beat Kramnik in the first round and might have put the tournament beyond reasonable doubt there and then. In his next game, Luke McShane fought bravely against all odds but ran out of time in an eventually lost position. Then it looked awful for David Howells after not very many moves at all but Howells dug in somehow and hung in for a draw against the new wunderkind.
It is more thrilling than you might imagine. I, for one, can't see what's going to happen next at this level but I'm sadly not even good enough to learn much from what I'm seeing.

Viktor Korchnoi, 78 year old warhorse, will be playing simultaneous games against 30 players who will have paid handsomely for the privilege on Monday and so one or two might beat him or get a draw. If they do, I hope the old dissident finds it possible to lose with more dignity than he did here in a blitz game with Sofia Polgar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9k5oBgaZGI

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.