David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 31 January 2024

On the Threshold of a Legend

 

There are more important things going on but so does the daily routine. I spend a lot of time knocking out chess moves but it's not bad for you and so maybe that's okay.
I had set the parameters of acceptability at the lovingly preserved rating of 2000 for Blitz, 1900 for Rapid and 1800 for Classical but I've been playing well at Rapid and have been knocking on the door of 2000.
1999 was the all-time high until I fell, like Icarus, back to where I belonged. That was last May. But this morning I arrived at 1997, with a shot at 2000, drew, went up to 1998 and had another chance but blew it, getting myself all cramped up but I'm back at 1995 with the next game being important. Feats Don't Fail Me Now.
It ain't always pretty. This is no time to lark about. It is to be hoped that my next opponent, whether they be in India, Russia or Uruguay, gifts me a chance. Then it's up to me to nab it.
Two ratings over 2000 would be dreamland since achieving it at one discipline was a minor ambition achieved. It would mean only ever playing Classical, 30 minute games, henceforth but I'd rather do that than be 2000+ at only one format when I had once been it at two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.