David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Sunday 11 April 2021

Rachael and no other stories

 I'm sure we all like to think we're individual, one-off, different and somehow not like the rest but we're not, are we. If there's one thing we are, we are derivative. There's nothing one can do about it.
And so, as a medium that from time to time chooses to advise horse racing investments, I'll assume the glossy mantle that all others that do the same would when things go alarmingly well.
The Wiseguy advice on Grand National day, in bold, was Thyme Hill. Won, 5/2. One doesn't regard oneself as wise for Grand National purposes if one hasn't been on the winner for 13 years. But, intrepidly having a go, I did offer two picks each from two of the three wise men. We provided 1st, 3rd and 4th and can only apologize for not finding the 100/1 second. One of my early strategies had been to look at Henry de Bromhead's runners and so it didn't go unconsidered.
But maybe yesterday finally made the point that the difference between 'lady jockey' and 'jockey' isn't a difference any more. I can remember when it was but now with also Bryony Frost on horses that jump over obstacles and Hollie Doyle on those that don't, to mention only two more, some of them are positive factors when wondering where to re-invest one's winnings. They don't make you think twice.
 
Rachael Blackmore isn't quite my Sports Personality of All Time yet but she's rising up the chart with a bullet. That list of 60's and 70's maverick boys is made up of Derek Randall, George Best (especially in Fulham kit), Alex Higgins and Kirkland Laing (however much I disapprove of boxing) on the strength of what they did in sport rather than what one or two did in their spare time but top of the list is perennially Janet Tebbutt, the modest and unassuming athlete that broke the ladies' record for Land's End to John O'Groats on a bicycle in the 1970's. 
The picture of Rachael here was taken almost two years ago to the day in God's Own Country, Prestbury Park, Cheltenham, on Havingagoodtime, which is what I was doing, especially after she'd won. She became my favourite jockey that day and we haven't looked back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.