David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Monday 9 November 2020

A Day at the Races

A dull November Monday looks unprepossessing in retirement but it was the sort of day I had been looking forward to with nothing to do but get on with it.
Monday mornings are often spent on the Gunn book and so a few hundred words progressed that. They aren't new words, mostly, but the same words as I've been using already shuffled into a slightly different order. I enjoy doing it which is the only reason for doing anything these days.
In between the early races and the later ones, I finished reading the biography of the painter, Gluck, and next up is either Rembrandt, Muriel Spark or get myself some more Daphne du Maurier.
But a great day at the races means watching Kempton on the computer and Chepstow on the telly. Continuing with the sensible stakes and low-risk recovery plan, I had five runners this afternoon mixed together in various combinations.
The good lord only knows how Seelotmorebusiness won the first at Chepstow. It never ever looked like doing but they fancied the other one and mine didn't even go off favourite so one is grateful for all that comes one's way and we are in business, too.
Mr. Washington seemed like a topical bet but it was for slightly more scientific reasons that I included it in the trebles. Others agreed, it was well backed and it strolled in. Trumps Benefit runs tomorrow and, if the topical vibes are to be trusted, is one to avoid. There was then a couple of hours before I was involved again, time in which to wonder if the later chances were now the better chances but I am in confident mood, this is my time of year and one shouldn't play if you're going to worry about it. But I hadn't actually won any money yet.
Oscar Rose had been regarded as 'best bet'. I'm sorry they weren't all flagged up here but Mondays aren't big racing days and it seems to make it harder for them to win if one has publicly tipped them. Oscar Rose used to run in good mares hurdle races and this handicap chase looked a bit below that class, especially when she won it by 20 lengths. And proper cash began to move into my account.
It looked as if it was all set up by then with two Nicholls penalty kicks left to finish the card at Chepstow but racing is a cruel mistress and the odds-on Brewers Project ran too freely early and the game was up long before the finish. Which left me staring at the last horse drifting like a barge in the betting and considering cashing out early, for much less, in the face of the market indicating confidence behind others. As such, the massive bonus price of 7/2 about Chavez multiplied much of what I had so far as compensation for the loser and the account went up in a leap and a bound but not quite into the stratosphere it might have reached with 5 out of 5. And one sticks to one's first thoughts and sometimes does well out of it.
But it's a gradual process and a percentage game and a small pile of well-earned cash is only the other bonus after a fine afternoon's entertainment of Racetrack Wiseguy wisdom. Which was time well spent, which is all one can hope for.

Although there are three jump meetings tomorrow, I can't see much to try to follow up with but will hope to keep ticking over with Rufio (Lingfield 4.23). 
Disclaimer - Racetrack Wiseguy's tips don't always win and sometimes lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.