David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Thursday 7 June 2018

Signed Poetry Books - Elizabeth Jennings

Not strictly speaking a Signed Poetry Book but we don't let small details get in the way. I bought a copy of the 1970 collection, Lucidities, with a signed letter 'inlaid'. That letter turns out to be a routine but very gracious reply to a fan letter. All poets will know that fanmail arrives by the vanload every day. First class postage in 1974 was three and a half new pence.
It is also a quite charming book, though not immediately obvious in retrospect how Elizabeth had really developed 'a new style' as she explains in the enclosed Poetry Book Society leaflet but it must have seemed like a departure for her at the time.
I look forward very much to the biography in September when we can intrude further into the life of this modest, if not quite unassuming poet, who already seems like somebody likeable but almost quaint from a bygone age, much to her credit.