David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Saturday 20 January 2018

Windy Miller



I recently sent two recent poems to an august periodical ahead of The Perfect Book. I appear to be in a creative purple patch, producing well in excess of the four poems a year that I've long regarded as cruising speed.
You look at various poetry magazines, who they publish, what they do, their submission rules and wonder how long it will be before the poem sees print and, really, forget it. I'm not that interested. But maybe I can just e-mail so and so. And, yes, that's fine, one of the two will be in the next issue as long as there is space for it. So, even if it doesn't appear, at least I have one of the kindest rejection notes in literary history.
Except that they liked the other one best, not this one. You can never tell. But it means I can use it here.















Windy Miller

There was no sign of children
and his obituary
in the local paper would one day say
he never married. And so
he was the last of them
to be at home there in the creaking mill.
We’ll never know whether or not
one of those sails sliced him
in half or if it was the cider
that got him in the end.
Meanwhile it was his time there,
that once looked like forever,
when simple was as simple did
and nobody complained.
He’d have waved if he’d seen you
if you’d seen him in the hedgerows,
unaware he was idyllic,
on his day off from the corn.