David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 9 June 2017

Politics Explained

This might be quite difficult to follow but I'll try my best.

David Cameron thought he could see off the threat of UKIP, who were intruding on his vote, by holding a referendum that he thought he could win but he lost.
Theresa May was the most acceptable face to replace him with, mostly because the other options were Gove, Boris and Osborne but then she thought she could dispatch Labour into the wilderness and be monarch of all she surveyed in her negotiating position by telling the country she was strong and stable and so she asked for their endorsement. But she was wrong as well and the country didn't really believe her and so now she's not strong or stable and the most powerful MP's in the country are those marching Ulstermen.

If UKIP achieved their one policy without ever getting anm MP elected, they did at least send several to the European parliament that they don't want to be a part of. On the other hand, the Scottish Nationalists beat the retreat from their near whitewash victory in Scotland at the last General Election but couldn't win a referendum.

So now the party who perennially convince us of their sense, reliability and being safe pairs of hands have blown what was at one time a 1/20 gambling certainty, maintained the current fashion for electoral turn-ups for the books and made themselves an even finer mess than ever seemed possible.

I did actually feel some affinity with Labour and Corbyn, having voted for them, not having been a Blair fan or Labour voter very often in the past. At the start of the campaign I thought, like Theresa did, that he was unelectable and so although I've still never voted for anybody who has won an election, I have at least been pasrt of a demographic shift. All we ever learnt in our formative years becomes wrong, though. It's no longer Labour up north in an industrial heartland, it's Conservative up there because it is felt that Europe neglects them and so they want out. It's Labour down here in the south among the universities and the metropolitan elite that I find it amusing to identify with, with all my records of Vivaldi music and books by Sarah Waters and Sebastian Faulks.
It was a crying shame to see the great Nick Clegg treated like that and only some compensation to see Vince Cable back and it's quite possible I might be back with them for the next election in October.

Hubris, Nemesis, the fratricide of a Conswervative leadership contest. Luckily, we don't need contemporary writers to make literature out of it, the Greeks did it two and a half thousand years.
Theresa must be wondering how she missed that one and I wonder what Her Majesty said when she went to see her,
One ought not to be quite such a nincompoop, should one, Mrs. May.
but I know how it feels. Three yards out, ball comes in, can't possibly miss, I somehow put it over the bar.
We've all been there, lady, we've all been there.