David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 18 September 2015

Cheeky Monkey in Portsmouth Cathedral

Martin Penrose, Lunchtime Live,  Portsmouth Cathedral, Sept 17th

I wonder if you can spot the cheeky monkey in Portsmouth Cathedral. I'd never noticed it before despite the number of times I've looked straight at it. Another feature to be aware of, when the sun is in the right place, is how the colours from the stained glass windows slant onto the wall and cast blue and yellow onto the stonework. But neither of these distractions took anything away from Martin Penrose's excellent set of organ pieces yesterday. If it's Thursday, it is Portsmouth Cathedral for lunchtime music.
Beginning with a fine BWV 582, Fantasia in G by Bach, the pipes were warmed up with grand German flourishes before two lighter Sonatas, Kp 287 and 288 by Domenico Scarlatti, with echoes in the theme and answers illustrating a different temper in the baroque, a geographical and cultural difference rather than a historic one as this Scarlatti was another composer born in 1685. It wasn't only Bach and Handel.
Moving closer to us in time and place, the Wesley Andante was a less imperious and demanding but quite charming piece using softer effects in the stops to good effect, as was the Allegretto, Op.17 no.2 by William Wolstenholme (1865-1931), a new name to me but a welcome one. Martin Penrose said that as a student he was made fun of for his liking for the composer, presumably due to his unfashionable status or quaintness compared to more respected names. But, well done, sir, and stick to your own tastes. There's nothing quite as chic as not being chic.
The set was completed by two French composers, Salome and Guilmant, both born in the 1830's that Martin said contrasted with the chromatic, more discordant Vierne. That was good to hear, and so was the music. The Salome was gentler and harmonious while the Guilmant left us with a rousing finale March in D.
It was a very pleasant way to spend the middle of a day which proved to be all that a September day should be, relaxed, free of anxiety and which proved to have more good things still to come.
But before leaving the cathedral I went to buy the above postcard to confirm my sighting of the monkey. As I was there, Martin came by and I pointed it out to him. I can hardly believe I'm the first to spot it after so many years but if you can't see it in the picture above, have a closer look at the organ pipes.