David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Friday 7 November 2014

The Saturday Nap

There has been one tremendous success so far this jumping season. A couple of weeks ago on the quiz show, Pointless, one of the categories for the final round was 'Cheltenham Gold Cup winners', since 1964, I think. And with my treble of Norton's Coin, Charter Party and Garrison Savannah, I landed a clean sweep of pointless answers.
A similar treble at 100/1 and two at about 10/1 is roughly what is required to set 2014 back on track. In the space of a disastrous few weeks, nearly all my profit from 2013 has been given back and The Saturday Nap is four-nil down.
I'm not really selling this week's tip, am I. But it is hard to believe I can make it to Boxing Day without stumbling across a winner and so each loser makes the next selection more of a certainty. See if you can find a flaw in that logic.
---
I'll be happy to oppose ex-Champion Hurdle winner, Rock On Ruby, every time he runs whether over hurdles or fences, I'm sure he was flattered by his immediate proximity to The New One at Aintree but at Wincanton tomorrow, I'm not sure what to oppose him with.
I'm going to back Benvolio (Wincanton, 2.40) and, although I usually go for the outright win myself, at 9/1 or even 10/1 the tip will have to be each way so that we can try to retrieve the parlous position of The Saturday Nap's current exchange rate.
I can see Le Vent D'Antan screaming to be backed at Naas at 2.10. But when one's confidence is a thing one has precious little memory of, then staking large amounts on horse races is suddenly not as good a prospect as when, earlier this year, I had 7 winners out of 8 runners for pointlessly, absolutely pointlessly, small money. Oh, how I wish I was back there again.