David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Sunday 17 June 2012

A Somewhere Violin

I was reading Hart Crane and came across the phrase, 'a somewhere violin' in a poem called National Winter Garden. Immediately, on these rare occasions, one knows that has to be the next poem.
It has to be about solo violin music, then it is the one thing between us and eternity. It brings to mind not only my CD of Rachel Podger but Nigel Kennedy at last year's Proms, Maxim Vengerov's recent return at the Wigmore Hall and, mostly, for me, Tasmin Little in Portsmouth last summer.
It becomes a secular prayer, a conflation of time and space, light years are a measure of distance, of course.
I'm not convined I will be quite presumptuous enough to send it to Tasmin.
Poems should perhaps ideally be written the other way round.

 
A Somewhere Violin 

for Tasmin Little 

Protect us now from permanent silence
and come with us while we explore the dark,
a talisman lit alone in shadows
between cigars on Leipzig afternoons.  

One last tornado, one last avalanche,
the light years that dragged by in the meantime
between us and the vast, star-strewn midnight
are this seismic, torrential partita.