David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Thursday 17 February 2011

From the Archives - Portsmouth Customs Cricket Club




I was hoping that the jumbled chaos of the archives might offer up a team photo of Portsmouth Customs Cricket team, perhaps one on the tour of Jersey circa 1989, but it hasn't done so yet.
So for the time being here is my favourite scorecard, photocopied from the scorebook when I was looking after the kit bag, where I went in first and scored 38 out of a team total of 64 on 2/7/91. If I hadn't played too confidently (the thesaurus doesn't offer 'carelessly' for this) across the line of Martin Bartlett's wily medium pace, I'd have got at least 44.
The rest of the story is that we got the opposition out for 63, mainly due to an inspired decision by the captain to relieve me of bowling duties before my allocation of overs was done because I was getting tonked.
However, a better bowling display was captured for posterity when I flattened the last man's middle stump with my medium fast bowling which was never quite as quick as I had liked to think, and had the presence of mind to prevent the stumps being removed before I could go and get my camera to record the damage I was so delighted with.
With Fulham not having been in touch since my football archive feature recently, Nottinghamshire are invited to e-mail a contract if they need an all-rounder for the 2011 season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.