David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Wednesday 11 August 2010

It's All Too Much

It’s All Too Much

at least 822 creative writing programmes in the US
The Guardian 11/08/2010

My giddy Aunt, I would never have guessed.
The biggest growth industry in the West.
So many confessions to be confessed.
At first you almost have to be impressed
but then you think it’s no more than incest
to write all that at a tutor’s behest.
So many trying to feather their own nest,
each with their own zip, impetus or zest,
ready for Friday morning’s verse contest.
Whose new slim volume will be the coolest,
Whose new sequence of poems will be best,
Which of their lines will sound the profoundest.
O, come on, you lot, Please give it a rest.
I’m afraid I long ago lost interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.