David Green

David Green (Books) is the imprint under which I publish booklets of my own poems, or did. The 'Collected Poems' are now available as a pdf. The website is now what it has become. It keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. I hope you find at least some of it worthwhile.

Tuesday 2 February 2010

Top 6 - Films



I don't know much about films- certainly never seen Star Wars and can't think of a reason why I'd want to- but to celebrate the occasion of the first film review on this website, films get their Top 6, which are-


Noce Blanche with Bruno Cremer as the middle-aged philosophy lecturer and Vanessa Paradis as the enfant terrible student in a study of devastating 'amour fou'. Although not a regular film-goer, it can be an art form of great power and do things equal to literature or music, and did so to me when we saw this in the early 90's.

Tous les Matins du Monde featuring Depardieu pere et fils as the young and then older composer Marin Marais in the adaptation of Pascal Quignard's novel was another sumptuous and fine thing.

As well as Depardieu, my other favourite acting artist is Emmanuelle Beart (pictured) whose best work is Un Coeur en Hiver in which for strictly artistic reasons she manages to keep her clothes on all the way through. Presumably because it said she had to in the contract.

In order to show I'm not completely land-locked in French cinema of the 1990's, I will include Brando and Vivien Leigh in A Streetcar Named Desire. Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans.

But back with the master, Quand j'etais Chanteur grew and grew from what seemed like a vehicle for the ageing Gerard to an understated work of gentle humour and commentary on middle age.

Which leaves one more choice from so many possibilities but one is only allowed to mention one. Boris Karloff's superb monster in The Bride of Frankenstein is more human than his creator and I hope if and when I see it again, it will be just as moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.